Schedule a GIB Workshop!
email@example.com | 530-478-1970
GETTING IT BUILT WORKSHOP
A Cohousing Workshop by Kathryn McCamant & Charles Durrett
“Our GIB weekend was incredibly informative, thorough, inspiring and practical, a wealth of information based on hands-on experience. Katie and Chuck have honed the process into a well-defined set of steps and careful timeline. To build a cohousing community without Katie and Chuck on board would be like trying to win the Superbowl without a coach.“
– Kayelily, Member of Raleigh Cohousing
More cohousing communities in North America have been successfully launched by this workshop than by any other means. It provides focus to your group’s time and energy, and aids in moving a project past initial feasibility to getting the required commitment and buy-in from a group of community members, investors, project developers and other professionals. This is an efficient and necessary step for the integration of the project budget and financing, the design and development, and the community building and sales required for a successful cohousing project.
This full-weekend workshop (9-5 Saturday and 10-4 Sunday) is given by the nation’s experts on cohousing, Katie McCamant of CoHousing Solutions and Chuck Durrett of McCamant & Durrett Architects, whose experience is grounded in 25 years designing over fifty socially vibrant and environmentally sustainable communities throughout the U.S. and Canada.
The Getting-It-Built Workshop provides a clear overview of the cohousing development process, covering development strategies, timelines, financing options, raising the money, working together, and outreach and recruitment to give your group the tools to effectively plan your next steps. In addition to customizing the workshop to fit your specific needs, the GIB also covers:
The Cohousing Process
- An overview of the development process, from initial meetings to moving in.
- Forming and organizing a group, working together, and issues to address early in the process.
- Development Scenarios – the group’s role, consultant’s roles, and options for finding and working with a developer.
The Technical Issues
- Money – getting money in and getting money out.
- Financing options, ownership structures and financial realities. (What will it cost?)
- Designing for community – design issues.
- How does the group organize to make decisions effectively?
- Getting along – the dynamics of group interaction and reaching your potential.
- Am I ready? What do we do now? Next steps.
- Your role, the group’s role, and the role of professionals.
$6,000 (standard) or $10,000 (site specific) in US dollars, plus travel expenses for two people (we are glad to stay in people’s homes to keep expenses down). We provide some assistance to help you organize and promote the workshop including a prep checklist, a sample press release and flyer, promotion through our media channels, and of course all workshop handouts for attendees. We’re also happy to do a public presentation at no extra cost on the Friday night prior to the workshop.
To schedule a Getting-It-Built for your future cohousing community, call us at 530-478-1970 or email firstname.lastname@example.org